-->

Oct 16, 2009

Book Review - To Light A Candle

As I said I would do, I'm x-posting some of my old Book Reviews from Myspace to here.  This was originally written in February of 2007.

To Light A Candle by Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory

The second book in the Obsidian Trilogy, I'm currently rereading it and enjoying it as much as I did the first time. It has Mercedes Lackey's usual well developed characters, a story that draws you in quite quickly and takes traditional Fantasy faves like Elves and Dragons and gives them their own small spin. It also looks at magic in different ways while keeping everything nice and cohesive.

This book contains your usual main Fantasy ingredient, the battle between good and evil, coupled with a young man's journey to adulthood while dealing with the relationships of the people around him and the effect war has on them. Like so much that Mercedes writes, though, she manages to take what may seem familiar and make it new and interesting for the reader.

I'm normally quite a Mercedes fan but even putting aside that slight bias, I have to say that this is a good book and an enjoyable series. I'm looking forward to the next book, When Darkness Falls as soon as I can hunt it down. The books themselves are thicker than her normal size so the story lasts longer and gives you a longer read to enjoy. The first book of the series is called The Outstretched Shadow for those thinking to read this series. I recommend it.

~~~

Having completed this entire series since writing this review, I can happily say that the whole trilogy is worth a read.  The climatic end battle between Good and Evil has some beautiful visuals, great use of the traditional creature characters such as Elves, Dragons, Unicorns and Wizards and some unexpected moments that keep you on your toes.  It is a thoroughly enjoyable read that should fit well with lovers of traditional and epic fantasy elements.  Where the book I previously reviewed, The Shadow Queen, has a darker, more complicated and more centralized story, this series has a much grander scope and softer writing style that makes it an easier read while still being a very enjoyable story.

No comments:

Post a Comment