-->

Jul 18, 2013

Evil Dead Rises Again

After many months of pouting and wishing they had actually released this film to standard Australian cinemas (it was made in New Zealand! We should have got it here), I have finally had the opportunity to watch the brand new Evil Dead film.

Like so many films, especially the ones that are remakes or sequels of beloved favorites, I went into this with an expect the worse but hope for the best attitude.  I knew it wasn't going to be that strongly tied to the original and much loved Evil Dead trilogy and I had already heard, as many have, that Bruce Campbell was not in this film at all.  The main thing I had heard was that it was bloody, gory and supposedly had some people retching in their seats in the American cinemas.

Wow, distracting! I'm trying to write this up right after having watched the film but the other half has Olympus Has Fall playing at the same time.

Anyway, back to Evil Dead.  I kept notes while watching the film, pretty much checking off all the 'needed' classic horror movie elements.  I'd list them...but, you know, spoilers.  It had them all and then some.  You know all those things that movies like Cabin in the Woods makes fun of? Yah, they're pretty much all there.  To me, an avid horror fan, it was both really welcome and a little cheesy. It means, though, that you start to recognize things and kind of know what to expect.

This movie has been tag-lined as 'The most terrifying film you will ever experience'  To that, I have to say only if you don't generally watch horror movies. For pure scary or creepy factor, I personally didn't find it that strong. But the gore...the gore was definitely one of its strengths.  For pure blood quotient and things you really wouldn't want to have done to you, this film did pretty good.  And for anyone who's a fan of the original Evil Dead film, that very first piece of classic horror cinema, you will definitely recognize and enjoy certain nods to that film.

Overall, the writing and the storyline could be called a little soft and the actors and characters probably don't have quite the charismatic strength that Bruce Campbell and his cohorts managed to express.  In a time where almost everyone has seen movies like The Ring, the Hostel films, anything from the Saw franchise or Paranormal Activity, this film probably doesn't have quite the impact the filmmakers would have hoped but it's a straight out, decent horror film and an alright addition to the Evil Dead family.  I enjoyed watching it, I will probably add it to my collection because it was straight out fun even if it could have been stronger and I will almost definitely watch the sequel when it happens. Just don't expect it to be everything you might have dreamed of.

I do very much wish I could have seen it in the cinemas, though. I'm sure the impact would have been much greater.

Oh yah, you might want to watch until after the credits, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment